The best natural remedies for swollen legs
Swollen legs are a problem many people face. This is not a disease in itself, it is rather the symptom of an imbalance in the body or an affection. Usually, the swollen leg problem occurs when fluid accumulates in the tissue, resulting in swelling, a condition known as oedema.
Causes are multiple, swollen feet can be a consequence of obesity, lack of exercise or sitting for a long time, age, pregnancy, premenstrual syndrome, nutritional deficiencies, poor blood circulation. Also, an accident to the feet or ankles can lead to swelling of the legs.
People suffering from diabetes, heart, kidney or liver problems, as well as pregnant women, are prone to swollen feet.
As your feet swell more, discomfort and even pain go on until you cannot walk. The legs may become red.
If the situation is out of control, it is advisable to seek an opinion from a medical practitioner, as it may be more serious and should be investigated. Otherwise, there are many natural remedies to get rid of swollen legs, and that is exactly what we want to discuss in this article.
This type of cold water and warm water therapy is extremely effective to treat swollen feet. While warm water stimulates blood circulation, cold water will get rid of swelling and inflammation.
– Fill two basins with water, one with cold water and one with warm water
– Soak your feet in warm water for 3, 4 minutes
– Then immediately put your feet in cold water for 1 minute
– For 15, 20 minutes continue to alternate
– Repeat a few times each day until the problem disappears
Massage of swollen legs is great. It creates pressure on the affected area, helps relax the muscles, improves circulation, eliminates excess fluid and reduces swelling.
– Rub the affected area with olive oil
– Then massage for 5 minutes, preferably upwards, not downwards. Do not press too hard.
– Repeat a few times a day
It is best to massage your feet during or after bathing. If you have swollen legs due to pregnancy, it is advisable to consult a specialist in pre-natal massage.
Epsom salt acts rapidly on swollen feet, soothing pain and discomfort. Magnesium sulphate in Epsom salt is rapidly absorbed by the skin, stimulating circulation and reducing swelling. Epsom salt is relaxing for taut muscles and, in addition, neutralizes the smell of your feet.
– Mix ½ cup of Epsom salt in a bowl filled with warm water
– Keep your feet in the bowl for 10, 15 minutes
– Repeat three times a week
Ginger is a natural diuretic that helps treat swollen legs. It helps dilute sodium, a factor contributing to swelling of the feet. In addition, ginger has anti-inflammatory properties, reducing inflammation and, implicitly, swelling of the feet.
– Gently massage your legs with ginger oil a few times a day
– You can drink 2, 3 cups of tea or you can eat a little fresh ginger root
The diuretic effect of dandelion helps the body metabolize the excess fluid, making it an excellent remedy against swollen feet.
According to a study published in 2009 in the Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, the diuretic effect of dandelion prevents water retention and regulates sodium levels in the body
– Drink dandelion tea 2, 3 times a day
– You can also take tincture or dandelion supplements, but consult your doctor before doing this
Lemon water helps eliminate excess fluids and toxins accumulated in the body, leading to swollen legs and reduced swelling of other parts of the body caused by water retention. In addition, lemon water keeps the body well hydrated and provides anti-inflammatory benefits.
– Mix 2 tablespoons of lemon juice in a cup of warm water
– You can sweeten it with a little honey
– Drink from this water several times a day
Due to the potassium content, apple vinegar reduces fluid retention in the body that could cause swelling of the feet.
– Mix in equal quantities of apple vinegar and warm water. Soak a clean towel in this combination, squeeze well and then wrap the towel around your swollen leg. Do this a few times a day, holding the towel wrapped for 10 minutes
– You can prepare a drink to consume twice a day, from 3 tablespoons of apple vinegar, organic honey and warm water
This coriander seed treatment belongs to the Ayurveda health current. Coriander seeds have anti-inflammatory properties that soothe swollen feet and improve blood circulation.
– Add 2, 3 teaspoons of coriander to a pot of water
– Boil until the water drops to half
– Let it cool and then you can drink it
– Drink 2 times a day until your feet are healed
Regular physical activity is extremely important to prevent swollen feet. Sport improves circulation and prevents blood from focusing on lower extremities.
Swimming is one of the best sports to treat your swollen legs. In order to treat inflammation and reduce pain it is recommended to go jogging or walk for 30 minutes a day, at least 5 days a week, and do stretching exercises. Yoga will also improve your blood circulation.
Magnesium deficiency contributes to oedema. Consume foods rich in magnesium such as salad, nuts, seeds, fish, soy beans, avocados, bananas and dark chocolate.
You can also choose magnesium supplements.
CAREFUL! People who suffer from kidney problems should avoid taking magnesium supplements.
Other tips for treating swollen feet:
– Try to keep your feet higher than your heart level
– Reduce salt and caffeine consumption
– Consume fresh fruits and vegetables, not preserves, because they contain salt
– Drink plenty of water to keep your body hydrated
– Avoid sitting for a long time
– If you travel a lot by car, plane, bus, or train, you should wear compression socks to prevent leg inflammation.