Here’s how to identify rice that contains plastic
China produces more than 200 tons of rice annually, which makes it the largest rice producer in the world. However, according to a recent The Korean Times report, Chinese rice is very dangerous and made of plastic!
The report said that Chinese producers sell artificial rice
made of potato starch and plastic which is steamed with rice aroma in the end. After further investigation into the matter, it was discovered that the fake Chinese rice contains as much plastic as a little plastic bag! Luckily, the rice differs from real rice in many ways, and you can easily determine which one is fake by following these simple tips:
The mortar and pestle test
Crush a few grains of rice and observe – if the rice becomes fine white powder, it is organic. If it leaves a yellow stain in the mortar, it’s plastic.
The fire test
Light a couple of rice kernels and see if they burn – if they do, the rice you bought is fake.
The water test
Pour a tablespoon of the rice in a glass of water – if it’s organic, it should
fall to the bottom of the glass.
The mold test
Cook a handful of rice in water, then put it in a plastic container and leave it in a sunny spot for a few days.
Real, organic rice should be moldy in 2 days; the fake rice will stay intact.
If you suspect that the rice you’ve bought is plastic, try these tips to easily detect its quality.
Health Benefits of real Brown Rice:
1. Rich in Selenium Brown rice is rich in selenium which reduces the risk for developing common illnesses such as cancer, heart disease and arthritis.
2. High in Manganese One cup of brown rice provides 80% of our daily manganese requirements. Manganese helps the body synthesize fats. Manganese also benefits our nervous and reproductive systems.
3. Rich in Naturally-Occurring Oils Naturally occurring oils are beneficial for the body as these healthful fats help normalize cholesterol levels.
4. Promotes Weight Loss The fiber content of brown rice keeps bowel function at it’s peak since it makes digestion that much easier. Brown rice is the perfect addition to the daily diet for those seeking bowel regularity. In addition, brown rice also makes the tummy feel full which translates to smaller meal portions.
5. Considered Whole Grain Brown rice is considered a whole grain since it hasn’t lost its “wholeness” through the refinement process. Wholes grains are proven to reduce the buildup of arterial plaque and reduce the risk of heart disease and high cholesterol.
6. Rich in Anti-Oxidants This is one of the best kept secrets regarding brown rice. We usually associate anti-oxidant rich foods with blueberries, strawberries and other fruits and vegetables. The antioxidant capacity of brown rice is right up there with these super stars.
7. High in Fiber Brown rice is high in fiber and on top of the list for foods that can help prevent colon cancer. This can be attributed to the high levels of fiber naturally contained in brown rice. These fibers attach to substances that cause cancer as well as to toxins in the body, thus eliminating them and keeping them from attaching to the colon wall.