Tony Bennett’s Mother’s Lasagna
The iconic singer shares the recipe he grew up with.
Tony’s mother, Anna Benedetto, created this take on the classic dish. Here’s the recipe the singer grew up with, and it’s perfect for a holiday family meal.
5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
1 1⁄4 pounds ground beef
2 medium onions, chopped
1⁄2 pound hot Italian sausage
5 to 6 garlic cloves, minced
1(28-oz can) Italian plum tomatoes
1 (28-oz can) Italian puree
2 (6-ounce) cans tomato paste
1⁄4 cup minced fresh basil
1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1⁄2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 pound lasagne pasta, cooked ‘al dente’
2 (16-ounce) containers ricotta cheese
3 eggs, lightly beaten
1⁄2 pound Pecorino Romano cheese, grated
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Add 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil to a large saute pan and brown the ground beef and onions together; drain fat. Set aside.
3. Remove sausage from casing; crumble and place in large pot with garlic
and the remainder of the extra virgin extra virgin olive oil, cook at medium heat until the sausage meat has browned.
4. In a bowl, crush the plum tomatoes by hand.
5. Add crushed tomatoes, tomato puree, and tomato paste to the pot.
6. Season with basil, cinnamon, salt, and pepper.
7. Add ground beef mixtures and stir well. Simmer sauce for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
8. Combine ricotta and eggs in bowl.
9. In 15-inch lasagne pan, place a small amount of sauce on bottom; layer with 1⁄4 noodles, 1/3 ricotta mixture, 1/3 grated cheese; cover with 1⁄4 sauce.
10. Repeat layers twice. Top with remaining noodles, and cover with remaining sauce.
11. Bake for 45 minutes. Let it sit for 10 minutes before serving.